Re: Are student evaluations useful?

In a very well-thought-out and useful posting, =

hake@ix.netcom.com wrote:
=

.. =

In a 11/17/97 PhysLrnR posting of the above title Kyle Forinash asks
for
good references which show the usefulness of student evaluations in
determining teaching effectiveness. =

... [deletions]
As for references which purport to show the usefulness of student
evaluations in gauging student learning, Cohen (7) in a much quoted
meta-analysis of 41 studies on 68 separate multisection courses
claimed
that =93the average correlation between an overall instructor rating an=
student achievement was +0.43; the average correlation between an
overall course rating and student achievement was +0.47...the
results...provide strong support for the validity of student ratings
as
measures of teaching effectiveness.=94 However, there are at least
three
problems with Cohen=92s analysis: (a) the grading satisfaction
hypothesis
discussed by Marsh (8) (students who are aware that they will receive
high grades reward their instructors with favorable evaluations) could
account, at least in part, for the positive correlation, =

Of course, it is also entirely possible that most students do want to
learn something, even if not always what or as much as we are teaching,
that they are decent judges of whether or not they have learned
anything, and that they fill out evaluations accordingly. Then if we
reward them for learning what we asked them to learn by giving them good
grades, the correlation between student evaluations and grades simply
mean that the two of us agree on whether or not they are learned
something. =

In view of this possibility, I think we should be disturbed if grades
and student evaluations are *not* correlated, rather than being upset if
they are.

(b) there was
no pretesting to disclose initial knowledge states, (c) the quality of
the =93achievement tests=94 was not examined (were they of the
plug-in-regurgitation type so common in introductory physics
courses?).
-- =

Maurice Barnhill, mvb@udel.edu =

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~barnhill/ =

Physics Dept., University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716