misconceptions tests

We have recently received a government grant to put together a
generally-available,web-delivered set of tests to probe student understanding &
misconceptions across a 'standard' first-year university Physics syllabus.
This will involve collating existing tests where possible (& editing
where necessary), and then 'filling in the gaps' as far as we can.

The purpose is to provide an easily accessable tool to test student
conceptual understanding. It will be set up
so that it can be used both for pre and post testing
and also for continuous assessment & feedback to students & staff.
We anticipate that we will use it to monitor effectiveness of new
teaching methods & syllabi in aiding student conceptual
understanding.

To do this, we need to know what tests are already available. We
know of the FCI, MBT & some others, but there will be ones we don't
know of, and probably more up-to-date versions of the ones we have
seen. The method of delivery will limit us mainly to multiple choice,
numeric & fill-in-the-blank type formats, but we would be keen to
find out of other test formats available too.

We will of course only use tests with the authors'
permissions, and with appropriate acknowledgement.
We would appreciate it if anyone with such tests, or knowledge of
them, could email us off list, and we will post a summary (where
authors permit) to the list for general information later.

Cheers
Margaret & Alex Mazzolini

p.s. apologies for the multiple posting, for those on both lists!

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
School of Biophysical Sciences and Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218,
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9819 0856

"What do we want? - gradual change
When do we want it? - all in good time"
(Rallying call from "Uni", ABC Television, Nov 1997)