Re: Are student evaluations useful?

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:24:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Sam Sampere <sampere@suhep.phy.syr.edu>

Before, but almost at the end of the semester. Thus most students are
all but certain as to their course grade.
If required by the administration, these "evaluations" are useless.
(The quotes indicate the misuse of the quoted word.)

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu

Why not give them in the middle of the semester?

Because it's not allowed. Only the evaluating authority (yes, we have
one -- part of a social science research lab) is allowed to create,
schedule, and administer them.

Students know how well
they are doing by then. You can survey student concerns at the middle of
the semester in time to make changes before the course is over.

No, because we're not allowed to see the results until after we assign
final grades, to avoid retribution by us and encourage honesty by the
students. (I'd think that cuts both ways, but so what?)

You can
decide which student concerns are justified and which ones are not.

No, it's only the overall rating that counts, and yours better be above
average in your "group" and college. Today we were told about a case
for promotion to full where there was great concern that the candidate
was only above average 6 out of 8 years.

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu
Random quote for this second:
Nobody wants constructive criticism. It's all we can do to
put up with constructive praise.