From: Margaret Mary Mazzolini
To: QuistO; RAUBERJ; phys-l
Subject: Re: Are student evaluations useful?
Date: Thursday, November 20, 1997 9:37PM

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Rauber, Joel Phys wrote:

PS
As to Margaret's comparison to Australia with the US, it would be my guess

that in the US there is more continuous monitoring of student's progress.
So at my institution the evaluations are given the week before final
exams
and my students know very well what sort of grade they are likely to
receive
for the course, I drop the lowest exam score for my students which might
be
half the final exam if that was their lowest score; this means my final is

either 30% or 15% of the course grade.

I think that Joel is right. Our final exam is likely to be at least 50%
of the total grade, and often much more. I'm impressed by the amount of
continuous monitoring US students get, but I don't envy you your marking
loads at all!
Cheers
Margaret