Re: The Tuned-Mass Damper

brian whatcott wrote:
. . .
I was hoping for an illuminating answer to this interesting physical
question of considerable practical importance.
. . .

OK, I'll give it a shot. If one hangs a mass from a spring and then
drives the UPPER end of the spring into oscillation with a sinusoidal
driving force (this is Leigh's example system in an MET post, but with a
sinusoidal driver), this same force is transmitted to the mass by the
(massless, frictionless) spring. Now the mass' acceleration will also
be in phase with this force and the mass' displacement is always 180
degrees away from its acceleration, resonance or no!

Hope this is useful,
-Bob
--

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu