Re: question on Bohr model

I have a vague memory from QM back in the dark ages that the answer
*is* luck. Seems like I recall seeing a demonstration that a
Coulomb-type potential is the only one which gives the same results
from both semiclassical and quantum treatments. This was also the
reason why Rutherford scattering worked out. I can't recall a
reference though.

I too was hoping for something other than "luck"! Okay, I will send
the question to AJP, maybe with printouts of some of these messages as
background information!

Martha
--
Martha Takats

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227