Re: Help on Radius of Arc

Bill Cheesman wrote:

I am having my students design model roller coasters. Is there a way we
can determine the radius of an arc if we know the length of the arc and
the length of the cord of that arc?

Bill Cheesman
Fairport High School

Hi Bill,
There may be an easier way, but from the geometry, I get the two
equations:
h/(2r)=sin(T/2) and s/r=T, where h=chord length, s=arc length,
T=subtended angle.
Given h and s, these are two equations in the two unknowns, r and T.
Eliminating r yields:
{sin(T/2)/(T/2)} = h/s must be solved numerically (use Mathcad, if
available).

If your students have never had to solve an equation numerically, this
will give them a new and valuable experience.

Hope this helps.
-Bob
--

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net

You never did anything until the first time you did it.
-Me, here, now.