Re: Another student question

I've been asked yet another question I am at a loss to explain. I think it's
of the "Why isn't torque measured in Joules?" calibre.

In optics, when a ray of light changes media its frequency is said to be
unaffected, but its wavelength is changed to reflect the change in velocity
in the new medium and /nu = /lambda * f.

Why is frequency unchanged and wavelength changed? Why not both, or a
frequency shift?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac,

The progress of the light wave is impeded, not the rate of the
wiggle. If you walk while doing deep knee bends, then take off
throught the swamp, your walk slows down but your deep knee bends
don't.

And if you do that, call me. I want to come watch.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227