Re: Senza Lavoro part 2, Long & wordy

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, brian whatcott wrote:

A person wanted to size the mass of an inertia wheel for an inertial engine
dynamometer last week.
He wanted to permit HP measurements to 100HP at up to 10,000 RPM allowing a
10% rise in rotation rate over 10 seconds.

I assumed all flywheel mass concentrated in the rim.
I equated the work input to the extra distance the rim moved at 10000rpm + 10%
in 10 secs.
This did not compare with the difference of the beginning to ending
kinetic energy of the rim.
I hastily computed 800 lbs.for the rim. I'm fairly confident this was wrong.

If anyone is motivated to work this example ( assuming it is a suitable
candidate,) I would be glad.

Because there are a few statements in the above that I can't make sense
of, I may well be working a different problem. At any rate, I equate the
change in kinetic energy, delta (I omega^2/2)--to the input power times
the time interval and find that I = 153 lb-mass ft^2. Since you did not
specify the radius of the wheel, I can go no further. Assuming 800
(lb-mass) is the answer, I would get a radius of gyration of about five
and a quarter inches which would also be the radius of the wheel if all
the mass is concentrated in the rim. (Was the diameter about a foot?)

Love those engineering units!

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223