Re: Another student question

At 15:47 11/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

In optics, when a ray of light changes media its frequency is said to be
unaffected, but its wavelength is changed to reflect the change in velocity
in the new medium and /nu = /lambda * f.

Why is frequency unchanged and wavelength changed? ... I told my
students I would pose this question to my peers. So here it is.

Dan M

Not wishing to provoke any peer-pressure, I'll abjure that tag,
but get down and dirty with an irresistable metaphor drawing on the
corpuscular theory of light (very suitable from the lips of a crepuscular
source like me....)

I throw an orange per second (frequency = 1Hz) through the air.
I aim them at a tall glass jar full of oil.
Oil is lighter than water and orange pith so they sink
( do they? Didn't check this...)

As they sink down the jar, I count the number of oranges passing a point.
There is still just one per second.
But now, instead of a velocity of 5 m/s they sink at 1 m/s ( hypothetically)
and their wavelength has shrunk from 5 meters to one meter....

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK