Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of physics?

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 06:18:50 -0500 "John C. Park" <park@unity.ncsu.edu>
writes:
"John C. Park" writes:

Also, professors of science education are usually held in lower
esteem than those in the science content areas by their colleagues.

Could you please post the references for this research? I can use it
to provide support for my proposals.

I have asked members of this network for help in citing references. So
far, I have only received one reply that is not too specific. It cites an
article in the Texan Monthly that appeared between 10 and 15 years ago.
Hopefully I'll be receiving more replies in the near future.

This was first brought to my attention by Professor Harry F. Meiners of
RPI a few years ago. He was the editor of the classic AAPT book "PHYSICS
DEMONSTRATION EXPERIMENTS" . He told me that he had observed such
behavior as he travelled about the US and foreign countries
gathering material for the book.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where some professors of science education are held in the highest
esteem by their science content colleagues)