Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of

At 08:15 AM 11/12/97 -0600, Joel Rauber wrote:

I don't think the
student evaluations totally irrelevent; they just need to be read and
interpreted by someone who has some *true* knowledge of the situation and
can read in between the lines.

I agree. Further, I contend that most instruments for student evaluation
are more effective in measuring something about our students than about our
instructors. I have been struck, for example, by a datum on our course
evaluations: on average, students rate every course here as being harder
than their other courses. Seems like the Lake Wobegon effect!

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "I can explain it for you, *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * I can't understand it for you." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Anonymous *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html