Re: Work-Energy or Work-Kinetic Energy??

Tim asked:
I just got into a discussio with a collegue on the interpretation of
the work-energy theorem, and we had quite different views on this basic
topic. Is it W(net) = Delta(E), or W(net) = Delta(KE)?
. . .
Timothy J. Folkerts email: tim.folkerts@valpo.edu
Department of Physics phone: 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383

Tim, F=ma can be turned into (for a particle, or the CM of a system)
W(net) = Delta(KE).
If one or more of the forces are conservative, their contribution to
W(net) can be written on the right hand side as a Delta(PE).

I outlined this procedure in early October in the thread
"Introducing Potential Energy". I can re-post or e-mail to you, if
you wish.

Hope this is helpful.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu