Re: piano tuning and the 256 Hz middle C

This pleasant narrative prompted me to confirm the pitch agreements:
1891 International Pitch A=435
1896 New Philharmonic Pitch A=439
1925 U.S.A Standard Pitch A=440
(Scientific Pitch A=426.67 from c=256, diatonic)
1939 London International - adopted U.S.A Standard - A=440

Yet another challenge comes with old string instruments. The higher
pitch means a higher tension, and old violins, etc, weren't build to
withstand that much stress. I understands that many had to have their
necks rebuild.

--- Tim

Timothy J. Folkerts email: tim.folkerts@valpo.edu
Department of Physics phone: 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383