Re: Piano tuning

Gary: I just happen to have one of those Scientific American reprint books
on my shelf, called "The Physics of Music". Inside is an article by E.
Donnell Blackham, "The Physics of the Piano", which appeared in the
December, 1965 issue of Sci. Am. Hope this is what your are looking for.
Jim

I'd like to find the article in Scientific American, back in the 70's
I believe, which was called the "Physics of the Piano". As I
recall, it was really about piano tuning, and it pointed out that
the tuning of the three stringed notes is in fact an extremely subtle
business. These three strings share the same bridge, and thus
influence each other and make for a complicated resulting
vibration of the soundboard. The article pointed out that there is
no possibility of exact equality of the three tuned frequencies, they
will always be a bit off. On the other hand, a very good piano
tuner finds a subtle relationship between these three frequencies
which gives a superior tone. Anyone remember when this article
ran?

Gary Hemminger
Dwight-Engelwood School
315 E. Palisade Ave.
Englewood, New Jersey
07631
e-mail: hemmig@d-e.pvt.k12.nj.us

* * * * * * * * * * * * * "Perhaps the grand all seeing Mandarin
* James S. Marsh * could dig deeply into the vast mine
* Department of Physics * of stategy and disclose
* The University of West Florida * a specific detail?"
* 11000 University Parkway * U Fat's Fables
* Pensacola, FL 32514-5750 *
* *
* (904) 474 2270 *