Re: optics/Japan

At 10:03 11/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
Actually, the paraxial matrices do apply to non-meridional rays, if the ray
description is set up properly. However, the text book treatments I have
seen ignore this fact in the interests of simplicity. I have a write up I
used to use when I taught optics. I will send a copy to anyone interested.

Jim Marsh

This, no doubt, an off-the-wall question.
Perhaps you would help me.

During the years ( or perhaps soon after) when Mcarthur was
acting as Governor of Japan, the Japanese seemed to take a giant
step forward in developing their first leading edge industry:
cameras. Their optics were reputed to be superior.
Returning GIs spread the word.

They seemed to wrench the personal cinecamera market from Paillard-Bolex
and all those lesser lights.
They seemed to wrench the still camera market away from Voigtlander,
Rolleiflex and all the rest.

I have this sense that some facet of the US led national reorganization
played a part - perhaps with physical optics classes in schools.

No doubt the tonic effect of being vanquished in war played an
important part too: see how Germany rebounded. Italy is doing rather well.
One could even argue that Vietnam did something for us, for that matter.

Was there an optical teaching initiative affecting Japan you know of?

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK