optics

Actually, the paraxial matrices do apply to non-meridional rays, if the ray
description is set up properly. However, the text book treatments I have
seen ignore this fact in the interests of simplicity. I have a write up I
used to use when I taught optics. I will send a copy to anyone interested.

Jim Marsh

* * * * * * * * * * * * * "Perhaps the grand all seeing Mandarin
* James S. Marsh * could dig deeply into the vast mine
* Department of Physics * of stategy and disclose
* The University of West Florida * a specific detail?"
* 11000 University Parkway * U Fat's Fables
* Pensacola, FL 32514-5750 *
* *
* (904) 474 2270 *