Re: A Parents' Day gem

At 21:04 11/2/97 -0600, Robert Mathieson wrote:
I've never checked
the time delay between my hands although my arms appear approximately equal
in length.

It is a particularly interesting demonstration to establish the
transmission speed of nerve bundles in the arm. If the efferent nerves are
excited with a high voltage repetitive pulse high on the upper arm, a
twitch is observed at the thumb, and a myoelectric pulse is recorded at the
hand.

It comes as a surprise that the general run of muscular control signals
from the brain through the body are transmitted at less than 100
meters/second.

This demonstration by my science tutor, Dr Anne Brown owed more to medical
school background than the physics lab, I fancy. There, the techniques are
more invasive: rather than cutaneous patches for electrodes, they stick one
with a needle electrode, by all accounts.

I am interested in learning the difference in flight times for high speed
projectiles-1%, 50%? Maybe someone will have some quantitative data.

Cheers,

Robert Mathieson

This would be my cue to dive on my ballistic tables -
but they are packed, alas.

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK