Re: Microwave Optics Experiments

At 15:51 10/31/97 -0500, Brian Oliver wrote:
Recently I have had some students interested in performing interference
experiments with the microwave optics apparatus in the lab....
In trying to convince myself that what we were seeing was truly the
interference effect I tried to block one arm of the interferometer and was
unable to completely eliminate the supposed interference effect.

I am looking for some advice on a sure fire method to determine tha
wavelength of the source so I can distinguish between the expected
interference patterns and some artifact as yet unexplained. THanks.

Brian J. Oliver

I see why you are concerned. There is a possibility you are
dealing with a 10 GHz source. Several approaches come to mind.
A lecher line or a fabry-perot interferometer, a diffraction
grating or twin slits. (A diffraction grating would provide two
maxima off the optical axis)

But I think you are dealing with standing waves from a reflector,
so you might well accentuate the positive, and shine your source
onto an aluminum sheet reflector.
Then I fancy you would see peak intensities from standing waves
using a sensor as simple as a miniature neon tube with short
leads (but probably not, if the power is modest) but at any rate
with a diode in a horn or some such detector.

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK