spring compression

Thanks folks for helping me remove the blinders. I was so hung up on
the Hooke's law analysis, that I couldn't see where I had taken the
wrong path.
Just shows the value of this discussion list and of having colleagues
to share problems, concerns, laughs, etc. Us community college folks
sometimes get lonely to be able to speak some physics with someone
besides students.