Re: 1mev electron accelerator?

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Mark Shapiro wrote:

A 1 MeV electron accelerator will produce copious amounts of x-ray
and gamma radiation. Thus, the shielding requirements are rather
critical. This is not a good choice for a "student" machine. A 1 MeV
positive ion accelerator would pose radiation safety problems....

Mark

Not as bad as they used to be. We have a 1MeV accelerator we
installed 2 years ago. We do get x-rays at 1 MV, but not enough to
really even require shielding. However, I designed the lab so that the
machine is still housed in its own vault and we use personal montioring
devices all of which makes our RSO very happy. He says the tort lawyers
should leave us alone because of the very conservative practices. We do
not use deuterons as a beam, and avoid neutron producing reactions.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College