Re: software for measurements from video images?

The goal of my activity was to show that the acceleration of free fall
does not depend on speed, for example. Fluctuations of the order of 50%
and more (big error bars) defeat the purpose. The sutter speed was 1/1000.
Ludwik

It doesn't matter that large error bars defeat the purpose.
If they exist they should be acknowledged by showing them.
In the cases where they are small that should inspire
confidence in the results.

I know that error bars are another step along a trail of
increasing sophistication. In the case you are treating
the uncertainty masks the effect. That fact should
reinforce the student's faith in physics; there's no
reason to hide it.

Since time resolution seems to be a problem, have you
considered taking the experiment outside? Drop a lead
fishing weight from a third story window and videotape it.
If that's not high enough, ask Herb to help you out. I'm
sure they've got some higher windows on the other side of
the tunnel in NYC.

Leigh