maximum entropy and the seeking of lowest PE

David said something important which I think often gets misrepresented.

"It is not so much an example of least action as it is an example of maximum
entropy. "

One often hears an analysis of a physical system by stating that the system
is seeking a state of lowest potential energy.

As I recall, David, used this in explaining the charge distribution on
series capacitors; although he did clarify what he meant.

This is often used as the explanation of why an excited atom's electron
chooses to fall back down to its grounds state, thereby emitting a photon.

I am aware of no such principle. What is usually meant is that the system
is seeking a state of maximum entropy; and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is
really the basis that should be used to explain phenomena where
"minimization of Potential energy" is often quoted.

I forget where, but I've read a nice discussion of Feynman's concerning this
wrt the excited atom. Most simply put, there are a lot more energy states,
satisfying conservation of energy, that consist of the atom being in its
ground state with a photon emitted; compared to the atom existing in the
original excited state.

Joel