Re: Astro. instrumentation books

I'm designing an elective for our final year instrumentation & elec. eng.
students on astronomy, with an emphasis on astronomical instrumentation &
image processing. (These students have done no astro. before, and their
physics & maths background is only average.)
The library here has some spare money to buy references, if I'm quick -
does anyone have any suggestions - preferably for references suitable for
the students, but also for references for me! I already have some
reasonable ones in radioastronomy, because that's my field, but I could
do with some on optical telescope design principles, CCDs, optical image
processing, infrared & X-ray instrumentation, ...
I suppose that it's too much to expect that there's an appropriate text?
Cheers
Margaret Mazzolini
School of Biophysical Sciences & Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology

Margaret,

Here are references to two books which may be of interest to you, and the
URLs for the publisher's catalog information.

Besatr regards,

Leonard

Building Scientific Apparatus, Second Edition
John Moore, Michael A. Coplan, Christopher C. Davis, and Sandra Greer
1989 / 0-201-13189-7 / $46.21 paper
PUBLISH INFO Addison-Wesley, Advanced Book Program
http://www.awl.com/gb/abp/abp.html#physics

HANDBOOK OF MODERN SENSORS
PHYSICS, DESIGNS AND APPLICATIONS
Second Edition
Jacob Fraden, VP, Braun-Thermoscan, San Diego, California
This timely volume offers a complete and upto-date account of the physical
principles and practical design of modern sensors and is packed with
numerous applications for daily use in the laboratory, the plant, or the
classroom. Emphasis is placed on devices that are less well-known and whose
use permits the measurement of variables that were previously inaccessible.
This Second Edition contains new sections on acoustical waves, discussion
of the latest temperature and chemical sensors, and a new chapter on
manufacturing methods and materials. There are detailed descriptions of a
great number of sensors, including those that measure position, force,
acceleration, temperature, radiation, chemicals, and humidity.
Contents: 1. Data Acquisition. 2. Sensor Characteristics. 3. Physical
Principles of Sensing. 4. Interface Electronic Circuits. 5. Position,
Level, and Displacement. 6. Occupancy and Motion Detectors. 7. Velocity and
Acceleration. 8. Force and Strain Sensors. 9. Pressure Sensors. 10. Flow
Sensors. 11. Acoustic Sensors. 12. Humidity and Moisture Sensors. 13. Light
Detectors. 14. Radiation Detectors. 15. Electromagnetic Field Detectors.
16. Tempeature Sensors. 17. Chemical Sensors. 18. Sensor Technologies.
Appendices.
October 1996, 1-56396-538-0, 508 pages, illustrated, 6x9, cloth, $75.00

AIP Series in Modern Instrumentation and Measurements in Physics & Engineering
http://www.springer-ny.com/

"Very practical and useful, and this reviewer highly recommends it to
experimental roboticists, practicing engineers, students, and educators."
V. J. Lumelsky, University of Wisconsin-Madison