Re: Arbitrary Grades?????

It seems that few if any are grading labs on the basis I mentioned, at
least from the responses recieved so far. Maybe I can clarify the
question:

Do any of you assign lab grades in which a significant portion of the
grade is not based on the lab writeup but rather on more subjective
things like: How well do students work in cooperative groups, How well
prepared are they, i.e. have they done the required reading before lab,
Do they arrive at lab on time rather than 3 minutes late this week and 5
the next, How adept are they at using laboratory apparatus, and how
well they communicate with GTAs and peers?

These things I believe are far more appropriate grading criteria for lab
than whether they can plug numbers into a calculator by following a
formula, or whether they can replicate a formal writeup procedure.

Thanks,
--
Jerry Hester Email: jhester@mtu.edu
Dept. of Physics Phone: (906) 487-2273