Re: Arbitrary Grades?????

I've tried making lab grades from 1. completeness & 2. A mid term and final
While in principle this seems like a reasonable system, I have been so
appalled at the results that I have been reluctant to continue the process.
The results destroyed my self esteem as well as that of the students. It was
hard for me to accept the fact that students could have retained so little
from the lab activities. My only explaination was that for my non science
students, the type of learning I was looking for in lab was so alien to their
school experience that they didn't know what to make of it. We have all this
great theory about the wonderfulness of hands on experiences, and I buy into
this hook line & sinker. But if the students are not familiar with this type
of learning they may be baffled and may need more than one semester to become
aclimated to this new environment.