Re: Arbitrary Grades?????

I don't like marking labs myself, because I find it so difficult to
give a numerical grade.

I normally use graduate TA's who are very close to completing their
Masters or PhD, and, consequently tend to be the most critical when
marking labs.

When I was a student in the UK, you would be delighted to get 70%. Now I
live in a world where 70-80-90 seems to be the expected norm, and anything
less than 70 accuses the marker of being too hard.

This year I'm using a revised marking scheme:
Object - 1 mark
Data - 2 marks
Analysis - 4 marks (requires tidy graphs and complete treatment of
errors)
Interpretation - 3 marks (i.e, the *physical* meaning of the result)

I think this is fair, because it allows us to distinguish more clearly
between A+ students and those who are just getting by.

I'm still getting complaints. A large fraction of the class are getting
60, but nobody is failing (pass mark is 50), and about a third of the
class is heading for an A.

This seems perfectly fair to me.

Chris