Re: The troubles

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Thomas L Wayburn wrote:

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:03:19 -0400 Hugh Haskell <hhaskell@mindspring.com>
writes:
"Your reading list doesn't strike me as one that will bring in many
takers, even among the scholarly community." It isn't even the
beginning of a reading list. It's just what I happen to read lately and
some drama and poetry that it reminded me of, but what can be removed
from a list of such great writers? It strikes me that any scholar in
the liberal arts who had not read everything on *that* list isn't a
scholar. But, you have aroused my curiosity. Could you give me some
examples of what quasi-intelligent people *do* read nowadays? "Please,
God, don't let it be Tom Clancy."

Well....yes I do read Tom Clancy and enjoy it. He spins a good
yarn. I guess that makes me quasi-intelligent. My favorite right now is
the fantasy series by Robert Jordan, "The Wheel of Time". I've read the 7
books that are out now 3 times and am eagerly awaiting the next. Why do I
like it?? Very well-written with unique character development, expecially
with reagrd to some very strong female characters. It also is a story
which draws a lot from classical and modern mythology, and has some great
quotes regarding personal relations, besides having a story line with
enough twist and action to keep one's interest.

I read to relax and for enjoyment. I do not understand the
correlation between reading the "classics" and one's intelligence. I have
read some of those titles and found some interesting, some not. But, then
I have never considered myself a scholar; just a physicist.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College