Re: Today's jaw dropper

At 21:26 10/9/97 -0600, Dewey Dykstra wrote:
David Dockstader says:

I would suggest that one of the most important characteristics of a good
teacher is enthusiam for the subject....

I'm wondering would a teacher who is enthusiastic about requiring students
to drill at memorizing nonsense syllables result in students who want to
learn nonsense syllables?
Dewey

I had a rather fine English teacher, (among many others).
Accordingly, I can recite:

"'Twas brillig and the slithy tove
did gyre and gimbal in the wabe:
all mimsey were the borogroves.
And the mome raths outgabe."

Charles Dodgson

It is among my sadnesses for lost opportunities, that children
who could learn poems by memory, are usually denied that opportunity
by an unenthusiastic school system.

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK