Re: correct answer

At 09:10 10/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
a 12 m long firehose is uncoiled by
pulling the nozzle end horizontally along a frictionless surface at the
steady speed of 2.3 m/s. The mass/length of the hose is 0.25kg/m.
Since I'm not a "morning person", have I blundered?

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro

Yes Mark, I consider this a strategic blunder.
A building fire hose normally has water flowing when it is extended
(unlike the fireman's hose).

If this hose contained water as expected, it would mass 2.5 gram per cm.
That's a mighty narrow hose!

But seriously; there are z-fold hoses and there are drum-coiled hoses,
and you did mention a coil, so (in the non-Galilean manner,) we should
consider the rotational momentum that has been invoked in the drum...

...now a z-fold hose ought to extend itself with the expenditure of
negative work... :-)

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK