Re: simplier is mor difficult

On Wed, 08 Oct 1997 22:38:08 -0400 Bob Sciamanda
<sciamanda@worldnet.att.net> writes:
LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:
. . . Once again it is a matter
of pedagogy, not physics. A caloric substance does not exist but we
can
pretend it does exist and solve many practical problems. The
magnetic
poles do not exist but we can pretend they do exist and understand
many
gadgets, such as dc motors and galvanometers.

We must present our subject in parables for the same reason that the
great
religious founders presented their subject in parables - neither
subject
is
literally explicable in human terms. "We see now darkly, as in a
mirror
..."

The sooner that both religion and science acknowledge the limited
"model" basis
of our understanding, the more tolerant and understanding we will all
become, and
the more useful will be our models.
--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu