Re: Arbitrary Grades?????

At 02:54 PM 10/9/97 -0400, Jerry Hester wrote:
Tappers and Phys-lers,
I have recently instituted a policy for labs in which lab grades are
based:
50% Data sheet answers and results
50% Punctuality, Effort, Group work, Preparation, performance, etc.

I feel these more subjective criteria are really more valid measures for
labs. The problems here are many, such as, students don't like being
graded this way since it is a matter of how the GTA interpretes.
Students perceive things like effort and preparation differently than
the grader, and it is very difficult to teach GTAs to use a consistent
approach to grading of this type.

Do any of you use alternate grading criteria for labs and if so how do
you approach these problems?

Most of the lab grade is based on written reports, though I reserve to
myself a "half-letter grade" either reward or penalize students for
performance, punctuality, courtesy, etc. (or their lack thereof). A full
description and listing of the grading criteria is included in the syllabus
(both hard-copy and available through my web site - surf there yourself
if you want to further peruse!).

Of course, I have no TAs to confuse the students, so I do that myself!
Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * \ / *
P.O. Box 5005 * --> . <-- *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * ^ *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * Universe before Big Bang *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * (not to scale) *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html