Re: Measuring The Geomagnetic field

At 21:26 10/7/97 -0700, Bill Beaty wrote:
On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, brian whatcott wrote:

The bottle is arranged east-west.
The water is 'polarized' with a DC current through the coil for a few
seconds, then the coil is disconnected from the current source, and
connected to the high-gain audio input.

The SciAm "Amateur Scientist" index site at www.thesphere.com/SAS will
tell you which issue this one was in.

Actually Bill, people have difficulty in locating this piece in SciAm's
Amateur Scientist index. But if folks want to build a version of this
delightfully complex-sounding instrument, they could email me off line
for details.

It has a splendid "fool-proofing" quality.
If an innocent tries to measure the field strength in disturbed
conditions, it will not cooperate. This means
NOT
inside a room
near buildings
near many roads.

The biggest single cost is the lantern cell to drive the coil.

I once saw a project article which mentioned that distilled water works
poorly because of the presence of dissolved oxygen, and is much improved
by boiling it in order to degas.

William Beaty

I found it worked well with distilled water, but tap-water works just
fine.
These days it might cost as much as $15 to build - but make sure
you have a physics person to refer to rather than a moral expert
( sorry, couldn't resist!) :-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK