Re: Today's jaw dropper

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:24:40 -0700 Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> writes:

Mathematicians have often objected to the way physicists
do mathematics (e.g. Dirac's delta function) but usually have
recanted later and "legitimized" established physical practices
as bona fide mathematics.
Don't you mean the way electrical engineers do mathematics? Wasn't
Heaviside the originator of generalized functions and Laurent Schwarz the
legitimizer? I see Dirac's name, but ... Wouldn't the function precede
its derivative? Sidelight: Schwarz was the biggest name except for
Russell who marched in anti-Viet Nam War protests. I may have saved
the photograph.

Regards and apologies if I am wrong / Tom

P.S. Didn't Dirac have a VERY famous graduate student? Could it have
been Einstein even? I thought not.