Re: Earth's magnetic field

At 14:23 10/6/97 +0000, you wrote:
I am trying to obtain a numerical value for the strength of the earth's
magnetic field here in Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me where to look or who
to ask

Ian

Ian Cameron

The geomagnetic field varies with time, and from place to place.
There is a suspicion that a recent decline may even be a precursor
to a flip. As you know this kind of event has been recorded numerous
times by ocean core analysis, in conjuction with experimental
confirmations of the plate tectonic hypothesis, now considered
well-based.

I believe that Britain runs at least one observatory where the field is
monitored. Severe sun-spots have provided transient shifts in field
noticeable even with a mariner's compass.
I want to recall that Greenwich did observations.
Though I last visited them at Hertmonceaux Castle, I believe they
moved again, under the aegis of Cambridge U.
Accordingly, I'd call there first.

Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK