Re: Einstein

Hmmm....not sure I am comfortable with Einstein as arbiter of
iiral uplift. He was like Feynman, a womanizer.
His marriages were not shining examples ( wasn't his second
wife his cousin?)

He is revered by students as a leading proponent of the odd...
odd socks, odd shirts, odd coats...
Only his penetrating theoretical papers saved him from a stolid
existence as a patent clerk, second class - a refuge for the person
who could not easily obtain a teaching post of the kind he wanted.

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

Well, I consider Einstein as impressive a figure for his peace activitism
as for his science. See http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/einstein.htm
for an extensive list of this activism. Would that more scientists took
greater moral responsibility in politics. And yes, he did have marital
difficulties. He was a human being.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html