Re: Today's jaw dropper

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Chapter 4, Problem 19 in Serway's, 4th Edition asks students to calculate
the muzzle velocity and time of flight for a bullet which is fired
horizontally by an astronaut standing on the Moon and which is then to
"travel completely around the Moon and reach the astronaut at a point 10.0
cm below its initial height."

Making the assumptions that this problem seems to call for, I get

time of flight = 0.35 s
muzzle velocity = 0.10 c

Who knew that the Moon was so nearly a black hole?

What was the dissipative mechanism suggested? Is this a three body
problem? If not, one would expect energy conservation to return
the bullet to its initial elevation after one orbit. Perhaps the
Moon is considered to rotate, and the bullet is in an eccentric
orbit? Please drop the other shoe. Some of us don't have copies of
Serway.

Given its position in the 2-d kinematics chapter and *before* introducing
the concept of force, I can only assume that the intention was for
students to model this as a *very* long baseline constant gravity problem
with a drop of 10 cm over a distance equal to the circumference of the
moon. Doing so yields the absurd answers I proposed above.

BTW, Henry Kuhlman wrote to me privately saying that, in his third
printing copy (mine is the first), the "10 cm" reference has been
exorcised, so I guess someone had already noticed the preposterous nature
of the implied solution method.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223