Re: Graphing by Hand

John Gastineau writes:

it seems to me that we're having a semantics problem. Does "graphing
by hand" include the exercise of _sketching_ a qualitative prediction of

your results, with nothing more than a couple of axes, labels, and a
quick
curve drawn to reflect your ideas of how the data will look? If so,
then I think most of the MBL/CBL users ALWAYS have students "graph by
hand"
first, and we have no disagreement.

Just for fun now, see if you can make a sketch of this graph....

A small bar magnet, north pole down, is held 0.5 meter above the
]center of a vertical air core solenoid. The solonoid is 0.5 meter
long and sufficiently wide to allow the bar magnet to fall through
without touching its coils. A voltmeter (or an oscilloscope) is
attached to the ends of the solenoid coils.

Sketch a voltage vs time graph from the time that the magnet is
released, falls freely through the solenoid and emerges 0.5
meter below the solenoid bottom.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where solving this problem was one of the most enjoyable
and challenging highlights of our Advanced Placement Physics Course)