Re: Web-based courses (labs)

kyle,

We do not have a course on the web but are working on the possibilies
of
offering some (certianly not all!) lab experiences via the web.

My project might interest you.I'll give alot of details since it's in
French. I'm working on the english version now.

I've develop a lab report writing plateform on the web.
It uses a mixture of CGI commands, JavaScript codes and a Java applet.
First, students access a lab activity mandate.
From there they are invited to write a lab report witch hyperlink them
to a page.
It's made of 10 textboxes (sections of lab reports), tables of constants
and datas and a preview graph buttom.
Before each boxes, some explanations of their expected content is
described.
For exemple:
Introduction has 3 parts (1-review of necessary knowledge to understand
the lab, 2-mandate and hypothesis, 3-justification of the hypothesis)
Protocole has 3 parts (list of material, statement of constant and
variables, sequences of manipulation)

The students are therefore guided step by step into writing a proper lab
report.
When they finish writing it, they press an Assemble Report button which
extract all text to make a new web page that includes a graph on their
datas.

My goal with this is twofold:
1- Give support to students when they are writing lab reports;
2- Create a plateform for collaborative learning (the lab report can be
view, therefore open to suggestions by anyone)

You can view a blank of the lab report form at:
http://CyberScol.qc.ca/Classes/Physique/P1/laboratoire/lab1/Rapport1.html

You can view an exemple of an assemble student lab at:
http://CyberScol.qc.ca/Classes/Physique/P1/laboratoire/lab1/Rapport-eleve1.html

Contact me if your concerns follow mines.

Mathieu Dubreuil