Re: Web-based courses

Starting this fall, I am piloting three web based courses -Physics
101, Physic 102 and Physical Science. These courses are part of an
Associates (two year) degree for Technology and Business majors. There
is no face-to-face contact although all of the students involved are
also taking on campus courses.

I have learned several intersesting lessons already including the fact
that I do have a good deal of contact with the students via telephone,
e-mail and fax. I plan on putting my observations together in a
paper/presentation at the conclusion of the semester.

Anyone interested, may visit the site at
http://www.ivy.tec.in.us/haute/mathsci/phy102.htm. Be warned that
there are two technological glitches that my web master has not
resolved. The VRML page is not operating correctly and there are some
"On-line" tutorials that use Mathview from Maple which also don't seem
to agree with our server. These will (hopefully) be fixed some time in
the near future.I may also point out that although the I originally
intended to make use of CU-Seeme to interact with students from time
to time, but I have now put together a chat plus video feed page that
will be posted in the near future.

Allen Shotwell
Ivy Tech State College