Dan's note

Dan MacIsaac meant to send this to the list, and it got lost.

Daniel L. MacIsaac wrote:

Curses... foiled again!
Combien? How much? Maybe we could pursue $$ through AAPT or NSF as well?
Maybe formal funding for PHYS-L could be pursued, I'd pay privately for it,
and feel that it would fit reasonably into physics ed related grants.

Yeah, but Dan, I don't see it happening here. So we pay for it with a
grant, not only this year, but annually forever. Then we have to buy a
box to install it on, and a person to maintain it, as well as the
network it's plugged into. Meanwhile the University is happily running
Listproc for the 40 other lists on campus.

So I don't see it's an option, though it may just be my retired-status
laizzez-faire that is setting in :-)

I hear you and follow your point of view. Quite clearly, my charity work
on the AAPT journals database is sometimes similarly frustrating.

I'll go beat harder on the NAU Listserv support people and see if I can
make them upgrade, we supposedly pour lots of $$ into distance ed-related stuff
and $$ if not time should be easy. Then we can find out if this is actually
worth the effort.

Are you suggesting you'd like to run the list on the Northern AZ server,
complete with the new Listserv? Now there's a deal I would consider
:-)!

Not so fast! If I can beat up NAU enough to buy the goodies, would you be
willing to administer the list from FL? is that a reasonable course of
action? Another possibility is to get AAPT to buy the Sw and house it
at College Park, then remotely administer it. If remote admin doesn't
work, then these are out. AAPT HQ can be glacially nonresponsive on
technical issues, so they are a distant second choice. But NAU's
connectivity ain't the greatest either. Hmmmmm.

Anyways, let me see about a local upgrade and figure out if any of this
new web interface even workks. In the meantime, Ludwik is happy enough
doing his own thing and my plate is already overflowing.
==> Dick
--
Richard C. Smith, Ph.D. Voice: (850) 476-9352
55 Birdwhistell Blvd. Fax: (850) 476-4193