Re: High Voltage (fwd)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Lowell Herr wrote:

Would anyone be able to send me some answers on the question below.

Lowell

PHYSLab Home Page - http://physlab.catlin.edu

Lowell Herr
The Catlin Gabel School
Project PHYSLab II
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225

Dear Lowell,
I have a question I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer to,
but thought you might be able to help.
I build a Tesla Coil high voltage generator over the summer and want to
measure the output voltage. I have read that a) voltage affects spark length
only and b) power output affects spark length.
Is their any way to relate output voltage to spark length? I get 18" sparks. If I use spark length as an indicator,
this would be 18" * 32000 V/inch = 576000 volts. Is this correct?

Sincerely,
Brian Knight

I would use 23,000 volts/in or thereabouts, but it's an approximation
after all. Depends on water vapor in the air and all kinds of things.

W. Barlow Newbolt 540-463-8881 (telephone)
218 Howe Hall 540-463-8884 (fax)
Washington and Lee University newbolt.w@fs.science.wlu.edu
Lexington, Virginia 24450 wnewbolt@liberty.uc.wlu.edu

"It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century,
the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing
quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct."

Michio Kaku, 1995