Re: Stop using calories?

"Dewey Dykstra, Jr." writes:

Did Count Rumford (Benjamin Thompson, I believe) actually disprove the
concept or did he give an explanation that scientists have come to
like better?

Rather than just give an explanation that scientists like, Thompson
actually conducted an experiment in which heat was actually produced in
unlimited quantity by friction. You can read about this experiment in the
original version "An inquiry Concerning the Source of Heat Which is
Excited by Friction" published in Philosophical Transactions, Vol II,
Essay IX. The Royal Society Jan 1798.

If the concept is really so outmoded then why is it still so prevalent?

I'm sure that others who subscribe to this forum can answer your question
better that I can and also give you examples of hundreds of other
misconcepts that are even more prevalent. By the way.... does anyone
know of a website that lists such misconceptions that people refuse to
give up?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where horoscopes are still published in our daily newspapers .... and
many people here still believe in them)