Re: do not use calories

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:56:35 EDT LUDWIK KOWALSKI
<kowalskil@alpha.montclair.edu>asks:

How can you explain Joule's paddle experiment without calorimetry?

I have been explaining that the work done ( by the falling weights
attached
to the paddle wheel) resulted in an increased temperature of the water
of known mass in the tank. This explanation does not require any
calorimetry.

Please believe that I am sincere in asking, " How do you explain
Joule's paddle wheel experiment WITH calorimetry?"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where calorimetry has not yet been useful in explaining Joule's paddle
wheel experiment)