Effectiveness of Working Sample Problems

Can anyone point me towards research into how effective working sample
problems are to learning physics? I recall being told at different
times by people involved in physics education research that if
students are interviewed after such an exercise, the students leaving
the class will show virtually no difference in understanding compared to a
control group who have seen or heard nothing. In short, one of our standard
approaches to teaching may have no benefit.

My impression was that there may be some published studies out
there. Or perhaps this was a generalization. Can anyone help me on
this?

Thanks much,

-------
Joel W. Cannon