Re: Stop using calories?

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 herbgottlieb@juno.com wrote:

John Mallinckrodt writes:

But Jay... Here's a typical problem to solve:

An insulated liter container with 0.09 kg of water is shaken
by rapidly raising and then lowering the container 1 meter.
Assume that all of the motion energy raises the temperature
of the water 0.5 K.

What would be the minimum number of shakes required?

Why is it easier to souve such problems using calories rather than
joules?

Well Aich ... ;-) I don't see why we'd need to use any unit of energy at
all in this problem and, even if we did, I certainly don't see any
advantage to one over any other. Are you implying there *is* some such
advantage? Otherwise, why do you ask? After all, I'm not the one arguing
that we abandon the use of a perfectly good and often useful unit of
energy.

John

P.S. I suspect the answer that you are looking for is

c_water * DT (4186 m^2 s^-2 K^-1)*(.5 K)
------------ = ------------------------ = 214
H * g (1 m)(9.8 m s^-2)

but I don't place a lot of faith in this calculation because the real
answer will depend far too significantly--and is possibly much higher,
possibly much lower--depending upon just how "rapidly" you raise and lower
the container.

A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223