Re: counting balls

[question asked from the list:]
1. What is the "counting ball demo"?

The counting balls are those lines of five ball bearings suspended
from two rails. Pull n balls off one side (n<5) and realease them, n
balls are ejected from the other side after the first n balls collide.

I think this is also called the "Newtonian Demonstrator" or the
"swinging balls" demonstration.

Steven Ratliff

The boys in my physics classes always referred to this apparatus as
"Newton's Balls". This name always got a rise out of the more
modest girls in the class.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the boys in ou physics classes usually outnumber the girls)