Re: free fall data repost

True, with curve fitting or averaging of the acceleration values the old
spark timer experiment can give good values. Do you mean that the
acceleration values, calculated with simple successive differences as
Ludwik wants to do, were ALL within 5 or 10%? I'd be very surprised, but
my experience was only with the Behr freefall apparatus. Your equipment
may have been better. Still, even if the old spark timer experiment gave
good results, I'd never go back to it.

Our Behr freefall machine consistantly does as good or better than our
picket fence hooked to computer.

we need to get back to
those PSSC type of equipment days when we used simple equipment and
_Made it Work_ and learned the frustration that accompanies all 'real'
physics inquiries.

I couldn't disagree more. I think that this is a prescription for turning
off yet another generation to physics, and for continuing teaching
practices that appear to be inferior as judged by the literature.

Count me in, for the most part, with the Luddites.(with some reservation, I
actually like both, methods) Many computer based labs resemble black boxes
and tend to obscure the physics that is going on. More is being taught and
demonstrated in the labs than some of that literature takes into account.

These both showed that students doing kinematics experiments who had to do
more traditional style analysis learned LESS than those who had real time
computer graphing tools. The physics is in the interpretation and
understanding of the graphs. Drawing graphs is important too, but it is a
separate skill.

I must disagree here. There is a lot of good physics in analyzing the
free-fall spark tape witha meter stick and doing the successive differences
by hand. It really brings to life boring statements like delta X over delta
T is the average velocity over an interval, in a hands on way (in the best
tradition of hands on active style learning). Lot's of physics is in areas
other than interpreting and understanding the graphs!! The computer of
course has to do this as well, but since it is all automated this fact tends
to be totally obscured in the CBL's I've seen. Just telling the students
what the computer is doing doesn't cut the mustard as that is too passive of
a learning situation in the laboratory.

Joel