Re: A quibble: Thoughts on series Capacitors

Its early in the morning, so this is with some hesitancy, but hey, I've
already embarrased myself.

David remarked, concerning the requirement that all field lines starting on
plate A must terminate on plate B.
_________________________________
Notice that this requirement of no net excess electric flux external to each
of the capacitors is equivalent to a requirement of a vanishing field in the
region between plates B and C.

A very minor quibble, they are not precisely equivalent; as an odd field
line or two may leave plate A and terminate on plate B by first going around
plate B and entering that region between plates B and C.

For ideal infinite parallel plate capacitors, they are precisely equivalent
(as David, quite quickly and correctly, mentioned in pointing out one of my
errors). And I presume that in most reasonable geometries (not extreme
geometries) they will be very very close to being equivalent, as almost all
field lines would be in the region between plate A and B.

Joel