survey of math prereqs. for intro. physics

Hello all:

Here at UWF we are concerned about falling enrollments in introductory
physics and we are trying to change the math requirement on our General
Physics course (2053 under the new, standardized Florida numbering) for
non-physics majors from algebra prerequisite to algebra corequisite. In
this way, we feel the course would now become open to freshmen. This year
the textbook we are using is Serway & Faughn; last year we used Jones &
Childers. I tell you this to give you an idea of the level of the course,
namely a pretty standard 2-semester, 3-hour course; the lab is a separate
course and is not a corequisite. We get mostly life science majors, and
some folks satisfying general distribution requirements.

So, I'd like to ask anyone who has the time to answer some survey
questions. I would be glad to summarize and post the answers if there is
interest.

(1) What is the name and number of the course you offer which is most
similar to the one I described above?

(2) What are the math prerequisites for this course?

(3) What are the math corequisites for this course?

(4) What textbook do you use?

(5) And just for good measure: Is the lab compulsory or not?

Feel free to add any comments if I've forgotten some important details.
Thanks, it would strengthen our case! We need to submit supporting
documentation for this by Friday, so it would be best if you emailed me
directly at <cmungan@uwf.edu>. Carl

Dr. Carl Mungan, Assistant Professor http://www.uwf.edu/~cmungan/
Dept. of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514-5751
office: 850-474-2645 (secretary -2267, FAX -3131) email: cmungan@uwf.edu